Thursday, February 17, 2011

The big and small of it all...

This (not-so-great) image is of the larger piece (approx. 18"x20") I made to explore scale, variety of mark, and more physically substantial materials. The support is made from 3 layers of 3/16" foamcore (which I'd replace with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or MDF if I decide to make more at this scale or larger) , to which I pasted the larger print of the background; the print wraps around the edges of the support kind of  like a stretched canvas. The relief elements are made of PVC with printed paper cutouts adhered to them. Although I really like the PVC for many of its qualities, I had some technical challenges finding a way to mount the relief elements to the board - hence the mishap of two pieces falling off in transit. 

The second and third images are sample structures that I threw together rather quickly in consideration of making some or all of this work in book form. The top one is a codex about 3"x"4"x1" and the bottom one is a simple accordian book about 2.5"x3"x3/4" (when closed).  Neither of these structures has "words" in it yet, but my intention would be to use reliefs, cutouts, and/or other 3-dimensional elements such as flaps, pop-ups, etc. in the various books. I am thinking about exploring book forms for the freedom and sense of play that they would allow me, as well as for the intimacy and active engagement that they would offer for the reader (oh, and also for the obvious references). I am concerned, however, with the level of detail that would be required to work at such a small scale.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Thanks for your comments about my prints from last semester. I hope to take some of the better stuff and go to town.
    First crit's over! Good luck with resolving some of your questions. This is a strong concept, keep that in mind. And have fun with it! You're in a good place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking today, you had mentioned in this blog and in class that you want the viewer to feel a certain level of intimacy by looking at the small books - I think that its an excellent Idea. I was also thinking though, that the very nature of your art in this case, requires some certain level intimacy already - you have to study it with your eyes to decipher the words. If I was walking by, the busyness of it would catch my eyes, along with the shadow work (that I think you said you were going to play around with), and it draws me in in that intimate way also. I have to study it to understand it. And even then, I ask more questions. I think you have such strong material, like Lisa said! I look forward to seeing whats next!!! :)I am interested in seeing how you chose to incorporate your theories into book form!

    ReplyDelete