Thursday, January 20, 2011

Artist's Statement - Draft 1b

"Confession" (This is the first piece I completed for this series - I will post more images later)
Preliminary Artist's Statement
This work has evolved out of a lifelong love of language and a recent desire to explore the potential and limitations of the printed word. As with other visual media, the ability to convey ideas effectively through text depends on both the clarity and specificity of the writer’s presentation and on the viewer’s ability to derive meaning through direct observation, prior experience, and personal interpretation. In this series, shapes and shadows resembling parts of letters and outlines of words collide, overlap, and blend together in a chaotic jumble of visual “noise” that alludes to text in ways that may not be apparent to viewers initially. A message related to the theme of the series is expressed within each piece, but these messages emerge only for viewers who attend to the work carefully and thoughtfully enough to discern their meanings.   

5 comments:

  1. I love this concept and your execution, I can't wait to see how these evolve! If you'd ever like some input about formal elements or color scheme I'd be glad to talk to you about it. :) You're headed in a strong direction, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this concept is very strong. I love the pieces both from afar and upclose. i find it rewarding to stand there and figure out the text. I love how you have to work at it, it really drives your concept. Afterall, our interpretation of others words are really all we ever get, not necessarily their true meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! I am pretty excited about the concept and where it will go. Just had my first mentor-crit meeting (with Karen) so I now have a LOT more to think about and explore. Some of what she said was actually right in line with what I was already thinking/working on, so that was really helpful and affirming - but (as usual) she also raised several points that I had not considered, and offered me some suggestions that will push me along in some different directions. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are great starters! did you see the other comments i made in facebook? have you tried doing ghost prints onto balsam wood or foam in lieu of the raised cutouts of printed paper words? and.or raise/lower some of the letters to give shadow depths as well as color and meaning? if you want to bash heads/bounce thoughts off me just let me know....
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous use of color as usual. The shadows in the photo are working beautifully. I look forward to watching you develope the work and to the discoveries I will get for myself when I look closely and thoughfully.

    ReplyDelete